Tonight Is National Night Out
What began as a program of simple front-porch gatherings of neighborhood watch programs has become a national celebration of the partnership between law enforcement agencies and community volunteers. It’s National Night Out and it’s happening today all across the country.
Matt Peskin was a community watch volunteer in Philadelphia in the late 1970’s when he started a newsletter that was distributed throughout other watch groups in the area. He soon realized that were hundreds of these organizations around the country without an association to connect them.
Peskin founded the National Association of Town Watch in 1981. Watch groups around the country now had a way to connect with each other and with local law enforcement. From this growing association came the idea for the National Night Out campaign (NNO). The aim was to bring law enforcement agencies, neighborhood watch groups, civic groups, state and regional crime prevention associations, and volunteers together for one special night each year to celebrate their partnership.
The first National Night Out was held in 1984 and involved 2.5 million people gathering on front porches in 400 communities across 23 states. Today NNO has evolved into a national celebration with more than 38 million citizens in 16,000 communities across the nation participating.
Tonight is National Night Out and Bossier Parish is preparing for 19 block parties that will be held in neighborhoods and communities throughout the parish between 5 and 9pm. Bossier deputies will be at each location along with the Bossier Sheriff’s Office motorcycle patrol, K-9 teams, mounted patrol, and parish firefighters and EMTs.
Here is a complete list of the participating neighborhoods and the times of their events:
- Fire District #5 Training Center 600 block of Kilgore Rd. 6-9 p.m.
- Plain Dealing Oak Hill Baptist Church 6-8 p.m.
- Kingston Plantation 200 Cat Tail Dr. 6-9 p.m.
- River Ridge 100 block of Country Club Dr. 6-8:30 p.m.
- Cross Creek Regent Circle (cul-de-sac) 6-8 p.m.
- Rosedale Place Trinity Drive (clubhouse) 6-9 p.m.
- Willow Lake Adult Community 100 block of Willow Lake Blvd. 6-8:30 p.m.
- Twin Point Drive 100 block of Twin Point Dr. 6-8 p.m.
- Woodlake North Boat launch parking lot 6-9 p.m.
- Woodlake South 2 Morning Glory Cir. (cul-de-sac) 6-8 p.m.
- Bellevue Road 4000 block of Bellevue Rd. 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Dogwood South 300 block of Blue Fox Cir. 6-9 p.m.
- Dogwood Park Clubhouse 5:30-7 p.m.
- Sterling Ranch Estates #5 Sterling Ranch Road North 6-8 p.m.
- Creekside Children’s Park 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- The Lakes at Cottonwood 200 block of Stillwater 6-8 p.m.
- Barksdale AFB West gate entrance housing office 5-7 p.m.
- Haughton Cornerstone Joe Delaney Park 5-7 p.m.
- Woodlake South 4000 block of Caroline Dr. 6-8 p.m.