A Man is Injured When He Lights a Cigarette Inside a Port-a-Potty and it Explodes . . . Blame it on the Gas?
On an episode of "MythBusters" about six years ago, they proved that lighting a cigarette in a Port-a-Potty shouldn't make it explode: Even though your feces can produce flammable methane gas, there's not enough to cause an explosion.
--Well . . . a member of Australia's Air Force just busted "MythBusters".
--On Monday, the guy was in a Port-a-Potty outside the Rockhampton Airport in Queensland, Australia. While he was doing his dirty business in there, he lit up a cigarette. And the Port-a-Potty EXPLODED.
--He suffered life-threatening third-degree burns to his head, face, arms, chest, and throat.
--Officials wouldn't confirm or deny that it was a methane buildup that caused the explosion.
--They DID suggest the explosion could've been somehow connected to a military training exercise that the U.S. is running for Australian soldiers right now. (--In other words . . . somehow this is America's fault.)
--About two out of every five people produces waste that gives off methane gas. For an explosion to happen, the concentration of methane in the Port-a-Potty has to be between 10% and 15%.